Emersons Green’s magnificent seven storm finals of national healthcare awards
The Care UK Healthcare Awards are open to thousands of clinicians and support service staff in hospitals, GP surgeries, prison healthcare units and the NHS 111 helpline nationwide. They mark excellence in care given to patients and their communities.
The centre’s finalists are:
- Pharmacist Stephane Jaglin – Allied Health Professional of the Year – for his work in reducing the risk of patients acquiring Deep Vein Thrombosis and for his work as a trustee of Thrombosis UK;
- Outpatient and Endoscopy manager Julia Blanning – Nurse of the Year – for her commitment to taking on a 20-week British Sign Language course, in her own time, to support patients who are deaf or hard of hearing;
- Ear, Nose and Throat Consultant Attila Juhasz – Medical Professional of the Year – for his work in developing governance, strong relationships across the clinical community and supporting colleagues.
- The Emersons Green NHS Treatment Centre team – Special Recognition in Secondary Care – for their work helping to reduce the number of Welsh patients facing long waiting times for cataract surgery;
- Holly Wale; Jane Allen; Sally Perry – Special Recognition in Secondary Care – for their work in developing and promoting Self-Pay;
- The Always Event Team: Marie Simpson, Julia Blanning, Rachel Fox, Holly Wale, Olwyn Dawkins; Michelle Parsons – Innovation and improvement – for their work on improving the patient’s experience of care; and
- The Deteriorating Patient Team – Innovation and Improvement – for their work on identifying and supporting vulnerable patients.
Hospital director Rob Thomas said: “I was delighted to hear the judges recognised so much of the talent and hard work put into the service by our wonderful team. They really do go above and beyond to ensure every patient receives the very best care possible. What we try to do here is create a culture and environment where superb people can flourish and deliver great care.
“I was also delighted that the centre was nominated and shortlisted for our work supporting NHS colleagues to cut the very long waiting times being experienced in South Wales. We began by supporting them to reduce orthopaedic waiting times, by transporting patients to the centre, and now we have found a way to support patients with cataracts to ensure they receive the sight-saving surgery they need as quickly as possible.
“At a recent meeting with Aneurin Bevan Health Board, I was frankly amazed at the level praise given to our service by their Medical Director, a prominent leader in the Welsh NHS. It is a huge privilege to work with such dedicated colleagues at Emersons and Devizes.
The winners will be announced at a special presentation at Lords Cricket Ground on Thursday 28th March.